Monday, July 13, 2009

Acres and acres of Hawg!

Saturday morning, nine in the AM and I'm elbow deep in hog, yes you heard it right. My companies annual picnic is Sunday and I have volunteered my time in order to glean whatever deep Alabama BBQ knowledge I can from one Ben Kahn whilst preparing pulled pork for 200+ people. Ben is a Southern gentlemen and the only Jewish BBQ king in existence. The pork butt is trimmed and rubbed down with some highly secretive concoction, then onto a low heat-smoke laden grill. After approximately 9 hours, a nasty grease fire, some stubbies of Sessions, lots of sweating, and a damaged ankle (don't ask), we found ourselves nervous for the results, tired, and not really wanting to hand shred over 60 lbs. of the most unctuous, hot and rich pork I have ever laid my eyes on. But we endeavored still, bent over a table sweat constantly threatening to roll off our noses and into the porcine bounty. We finished around 7 PM with five hotel pans of the best pulled pork in the city. The proof came the following day after another long day of putting on a traditional BBQ picnic for 200 of our employees and their families; the compliments flew fast and furious from all cultures and palettes.

3 comments:

  1. That's some kind of big honker cooker!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn! Where was i when this bounty hit the tables?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you could give some Texan's a challenge with your smokin' skills!-

    ReplyDelete